Note for English Readers

If I write the articles in Indonesian, I will write a summary in English so that you can read my articles too. After you read the summary and you feel that you need more information about that, please do not hesitate to contact me via e-mail that can be found in my profile.

Thank you for reading my blogs.

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Problem when using ATI Catalyst Proprietary Display Driver 11.x

When I monitored ATI Catalyst driver website for Linux, the last driver version is 11.2 (15 Feb 2011). However, when I tried to install it on my laptop (ATI Mobility Radeon HD5400 series, my own compilation of kernel 2.6.37.2, & Xorg-server 1.9.4 from slackware64-current), the x server crashed. This happened also when I tried to install 11.1 version. Therefore, I have to draw back to the 10.12 version and it runs smoothly on my laptop. Since this version is very stable, I suggest, it's better if you stay on 10.12 version until AMD releases the new version.

Note: If you want to install the 10.12 version, you will need to patch the kernel module of ATI Catalyst using this patch for 2.6.37.x or this patch for 2.6.36.x. You don't need to this patch if you are using 2.6.35.x. Also, the 11.x version of ATI Catalyst doesn't need this patch.

How to install & patch:
  • Download the 10.12 version from here.
  • From console (run in text mode, make sure to this as root and the installer are executable), enter the directory where the installer is then run: ./ati-driver-installer-10-12-x86.x86_64.run --install
  • Follow the instructions.
  • When done, enter to /lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/
  • copy the patch to this directory then run: patch -p0 < fglrx_10.10-12_with_2.6.XX.x.diff (note that XX is 36 or 37, depends on your kernel version).
  • run: ./make.sh
  • if there is no error, go up to one level (/lib/modules/fglrx/) then do: ./make_install.sh
  • reboot your system
  • use aticonfig --initial to create /etc/X11/xorg.conf then make necessary changes on it. My suggestion, it's better if you move and rename that xorg.conf to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/fglrx.conf
  • start your x server
Test your display, activate desktop effect, or whatever you want.

No comments: